SOUTH AFRICA'S TV WEBSITE
SIGN IN SEARCH MENU
SOUTH AFRICA'S TV WEBSITE

Trevor Noah accused of joke theft: the transcripts

Tashi
16 Oct 2015 13:45 Posted in The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

So Trevor's been accused of stealing jokes again. This time by Hollywood Reporter writer Ryan Parker who made the accusations after attending Politicon, a Comic-Con type event that mixes politics and entertainment.

Trevor performed a 20-minute set at it and the article - which you'll find here - accuses him of plagiarising American comedian Dave Chappelle's routine. It includes transcripts of Dave's stand-up act and Trevor's.

These are them...

Trevor's act:

"Before I came to America, I thought I knew all kinds of racism. I've always considered myself something of a racism connoisseur. I appreciate the finer racism. Not to say I appreciate all racism, but a finer racism.

Before I came here, blatant racism was my favorite. Blatant racism, where you know exactly where you stand, often perpetrated by old people, which I have always appreciated. They'll just tell it to you like it is. 'This is what I think about you!' Yeah, you're going to die soon. ... Charming racism in America changed my life.

I discovered it in a place called Lexington, Kentucky. Probably one of the most wonderful places I've ever been - charming, friendly people. Racism with a smile and a tip of the hat. ...

I was walking through the streets, a man walked up to me, didn't know me from a bar of soap, came straight up to me and looked me dead in the eye, and he was like, 'Good afternoon, n—er.' 'Good afternoon.'

I've never seen racism with a smile. I didn't know what to do. He just said it like it was a fact. As if I fought him, he would have been like, 'What, didn't you know?' "

Dave's act:

"Traveling has made me a racism connoisseur, if you will. You know, it's different region to region. Anyone ever been down South? So you guys know what I'm talking about. The racism down there is just f—ing (bon appetit gesture) — it's perfect. Stewed to a perfection. It's conformable.

It's out in the open. There are no secrets in Mississippi. Everybody knows the deal. 'Morning, n—er!' 'Morning, sir!' Not up here. Here in the big cities, it's a secret. And we should be like them. We should keep our *bleep!* out in the open and vent a little — I mean with limits. You don't want to say whatever comes to your mind, that might be a little much.

White dude be walking down the street minding his business and a brother walk up to him: 'Hello, you white oppressor, you slave-master rapist of Africa.' 'Why hello, my big-lips, spear-chucking friend.'

------

Your thoughts?

max85
16 Oct 2015 14:54

The jokes are almost the some but that's not the point .its the price of being famous nje .the american media is always brutal ,the will dig up every dirt on him ,everything he does they will be writing about .its the nature of the business in Hollyhood Trevor must just keep focus on his job .

Only TVSA members can reply to this thread. Click here to login or register.

LATEST ARTICLES

New on TV today: Friday 29 March 2024

There's music and lights in SuperCulture on Channel O and the film Wallflower airs on Fuse TV.

Game of Lies Teasers - April 2024

Series finale! The rescue attempt gets underway before a final reckoning.

Gqeberha: The Empire 2 Teasers - April 2024

The Mxenge Hotel turns into a whodunnit. A gunshot. Murder. In which room and by who?

The Wife 3 Teasers - April 2024

Naledi’s sex tape sees the spotlight again and catches her in the headlights.

Skerpioen Teasers - April 2024

A torched boat, poison in wine and youthful memories die when Ferda tries to kill Ahmet.

Imlie Teasers - April 2024

Imlie takes Ashu to the hospital when he falls ill, but kidnappers attempt to abduct him.

My Desire Teasers - April 2024

Kaashvi clears her name and reports Pradyumna's bribery attempt to the police.

New on TV today: Thursday 28 March 2024

Season 2 of Dam premieres on M-Net and Grey's Anatomy 20 drops on Disney+.

Hlomla Dandala confirmed to debut as Caesar on Smoke & Mirrors Season 2

The past collides with soon in the latest on Hlomla's whereabouts.

Smoke & Mirrors Teasers - April 2024

Season 1 finale and crossover alert! Caesar takes Thandiswa to the House of Zwide for her wedding dress.

LATEST SITE ACTIVITY

More activity at TVSA Central

LATEST SOAPIE TEASERS

LATEST SOAPIE TEASERS

You browser doesn't have Flash, Silverlight, Gears, BrowserPlus or HTML5 support.