Idols 14 winner Yanga Sobetwa
Aha! It's a good feeling when the right winner wins a reality show. Yanga was definitely the correcto person to take the Idols Season 14 title - and not because she's a girl. I'm over that. Girls have won enough over the past few years so I don't feel iffy about them not winning anymore.
No, I'm pleased she won for these five reasons:
1. The tone and lilt in her voice, exactly as it is in her winner's single Scars. Her lilt must be no more and no less - it must stay exactly as it is. It makes her voice distinctive in the right way.
2. Her single reached #1 on iTunes.
3. She sounds much better singing live than Unathi does lip-synching, as we heard in the judges' opening act in the finale. (Someone tell Randall not to give up his day job.)
4. She still managed to stand out in the finale despite the fact that her and Thato only got 20 minutes of screen time in the whole two-hour show!
5. She was 2 when Idols first started.