SOUTH AFRICA'S TV WEBSITE
SIGN IN SEARCH MENU
SOUTH AFRICA'S TV WEBSITE

The Affair: Season 5 - what to expect

Tashi
05 Jun 2019 09:57 Posted in The Affair

The US premiere date for the fifth and final season of The Affair has been confirmed: Sunday, 25 August 2019.

What to expect:

Anna Paquin (True Blood) joins the final season as a series regular. New guest stars include Jennifer Jason Leigh (PATRICK MELROSE), Claes Bang (The Square) and Lyric Bent (She's Gotta Have It), with Russell Hornsby (Fences) returning.

Season five will chronicle the aftermath of last season's horrific events and find the characters coming to terms with the consequences of their choices - as they make the realization that if they really want to change their futures, they must first face the past.

Helen (Tierney) begins the season involved in an intoxicating new affair with a charismatic movie star (guest star Claes Bang), who offers to give her everything she's been missing.

Noah (West) meanwhile has to swallow his pride and his jealousy and step in to take care of his family in her absence. But just when things seem to have stabilized, a chance encounter with someone from the distant past sets in a motion a sequence of events that brings them both to their knees.

Paquin stars as Alison and Cole's now adult daughter Joanie Lockhart, who returns some years in the future to piece together the truth about what happened to her mother, bringing the whole story full circle.

In addition to West, Tierney and Paquin, season five series regulars include Julia Goldani Telles and Jadon Sand as Noah and Helen's children, Whitney and Trevor Solloway; and Lathan, as Janelle, Noah's girlfriend and the principal at the school where he teaches.

Emily Browning, Omar Metwally, John Doman, Kathleen Chalfant, Max Fowler, Michael Braun, Abigail Dylan Harrison and Jake Siciliano will also guest star.

Timone
19 Jun 2019 10:52

Very curious that Janelle the principal will still be Noah's girlfriend even after such a big time lapse (I'm assuming theres a significant time lapse since Joanie is an adult now).

I think the showrunners erred big time by not giving Alison and Cole their happy ending.

Thanks Tashi

charmed_dude
24 Jun 2019 18:01

I think season 5 will take place in a dual-timeline kind of thing. The show loves two different narratives between Noah/Alison and now since Alison is gone, I think the second narrative will be a time jump. With a whole new set of characters in Joanney's future.

I cannot imagine Noah and Helen been made up to look that much older for episodes (considering they are pushing 60 already).

I will miss Cole tho.

Timone
25 Jun 2019 14:34

Timone edited on
6/25/2019 2:35 PM

They also do the different narrative/perspective thing with Noah and Helen. I've never liked nor understood it.

Tashi
08 Oct 2019 11:04

Yes Charmed, you're correcto - I'm very relieved. Helen, Noah and their family are all the same ages and Joanie's storyine is set in the future - in an interesting stylistic interpretation of the future.

Her story is only covered in small inserts at the beginning and then she gets an episode to herself.

I've asked about when it's gnna start on M-net but there's no confirmed date unfort.

Timone
04 Nov 2019 13:22

Shew! Thats a relief to hear for sure! Wasnt looking forward to the time jump

Only TVSA members can reply to this thread. Click here to login or register.

LATEST ARTICLES

New on TV today: Saturday 20 April

Mike Epps is Buying Back the Block on HGTV and ID presents Jack Osbourne's Night of Terror.

My Brother's Keeper 2 Teasers - April 2024

Season 2 premiere! The Shabalalas head to Emaswazini and Nqubeko shadow-boxes with his guilt.

Isiphetho: Destiny Teasers - May 2024

Buhle faces an entrepreneur's worst nightmare as the restaurant's debt piles up. How will she pay?

Binnelanders Teasers - May 2024

Nicolette freezes during an operation. Yikes. And Annetjie's secret identity takes on new life in her blog.

New on TV today: Friday 19 April

Housekeepers 3 begins a run on Wethu and Kindig Customs returns to Discovery.

Two former Miss South Africa's in Duma Ndlovu's Queen Modjadji

It scares us. Schmodels in a historical drama - how "Method" will they be? But okay, let's not be judgy and see.

Elif 5 Teasers - May 2024

Melek's had enough of Figen's insults. Is she honest about it? Yes! When you need to fight you must fight.

Chrysalis 2 Teasers - May 2024

Nalan shoots her magazine cover and her style has completely changed.

New on TV today: Thursday 18 April 2024

More Plaasjapies pitch up on kykNET and BBC Earth travels Ancient Egypt by Train.

17 shows with Mzansi in the title - name them!

So you consider yourself a big stuff TV buff? Let's see. Take the test.

LATEST SITE ACTIVITY

More activity at TVSA Central

LATEST SOAPIE TEASERS

LATEST SOAPIE TEASERS

You browser doesn't have Flash, Silverlight, Gears, BrowserPlus or HTML5 support.