South Africa's first fulltime community TV channel, Soweto TV, is planning on covering a bunch of upcoming festivals that will be happening in and around Soweto.
First there's the Soweto Joy of Jazz Festival that will be taking place in Newtown from August 23 to August 25. The channel will be bringing you red carpet interviews, showcasing Jazz artists as well as highlights of the day’s events.
On September 7 and 8 the Wine Festival will be taking place in Soweto and the channel will cover all the happenings that will be taking place, including interviews with the wine makers and the celebrities that will be attending.
The Standard Bank Soweto Festival will be taking place from September 21 to September 24. Soweto TV will be interviewing passersby, covering the show as well as daily events and they will also be covering the Five Roses Beauty pageant.
Soweto TV will also cover the grand opening and VIP launch of the brand new Maponya Mall opening on September 27. The Soweto TV crew will be interviewing people, running competitions and more.
If you attend any of these events you could be interviewed by Soweto TV. You can also visit the events if you want to find out more about the community channel.
Programmes currently being aired live on Soweto TV include:Dlala NgeringasMonday – Friday:
17h00 to 18h00
A Youth Talk Show that covers topics affecting the youth of Soweto. Topics include alcohol abuse, teenage strippers, relationships, education, teenage pregnancies and much more. The show is presented by Luzuko Qabanisa and Samu Mathebula and they’re joined in studio by Lesego Tau, the resident advisor.
Wathinti MbokodoMonday to Friday:
18h00 to 19h00
This women talk show tackles issues that are relevant to women in and around Soweto. Discussed on the show are general and social issues such as motherhood, parenting, inspiring stories of Sowetan women, fashion, careers, music and lots more. The show is hosted by Phumelele Dlamini and Katlego Msomi.Soweto TodayMonday – Friday:
19h00 to 20h00
This is a current affairs show that tackles news that is current and of human interest. It is also to inform and educate the community about local, regional and national news that make headlines. Soweto Today’s aim is to make certain that the community of Soweto knows what’s happening around them. The show is hosted by Refilwe Monageng.
ZiyamporomaWednesday – Friday:
20h00 to 21h00
This is a lifestyle programme that looks at the lavish lives, homes and cars that the residents of Soweto enjoy. As much as this is the show's main focus, Ziyamporoma will also look at people’s hangout spots and activities that take place in their daily lives. It is presented by Karabo More and Simphiwe Golding.Open Door PolicyMonday – Friday:
21h00 to 22h00
An entertainment show specifically for up-and-coming artists, which will also feature established artists. The show also includes profiles of artists as well as "A Day in the Life of…"
On Mondays the programme features jazzy and laidback music to help viewers relax after a hectic weekend.
Tuesdays is a Blast from the Past featuring music of days gone by. On Wednesdays Open Door Policy covers Hip Hop, Reggae and Ragga, on Thursdays is Kwaito and House and Fridays are dedicated to the players in the music business such as DJs, critics, writers, events organisers, etc.
Open Door Policy is presented by Lerato Kganako and Lehlohonolo “Hloks”.DipapadiSaturdays:
12h00 to 17h00
Dipapadi covers live sports, press conferences, interviewing of guests live in studio as well as footage from the field. Dipapadi’s local coverage makes up 80% of the show whilst the remaining 20% is dedicated to International and National sports coverage.
Tshepo Thobane presents Dipapadi and Refilwe Khwenyane is the shows field presenter. EzomoyaSundays:
The first part of this religious programme is hosted each week by a different pastor who’ll discuss a specific topic. During the second half of the show two indigenous choirs with different genres of music will perform live in studio while in between the performances the group leaders will be interviewed by presenters Matthew Moloi and Vicky Vilakazi.
In the third segment the show is hyped with music videos by various South African gospel artists.
If you’d like to know how to tune into Soweto Community TV follow the easy steps below.
Step 1: Press menu on your TV or remote control
Step 2: Go to search
Step 3: Let it search on UHF band
Step 4: Skip e.tv channel while searching
Step 5: Press stop when you see Soweto TV Channel
Step 6: Store the channel
Now you are on Soweto TV.
If you have any queries regarding how to tune into Soweto TV you can contact them on their help line, on (011) 939 1102/3.