PDA

View Full Version : M-Net: Sleeper Cell 1/4 'Scholar'

Gerhard
30th July 2007, 00:16
Farik targets a moderate Iman, whose views on inter-faith co-operation and tolerance are anathema to the Jihadists.

I like the way this show doesn't steer clear of some pretty intense debate on Islam -- which is sorely misrepresented by the Bush Administration, obviously for its own Fundamentalist agenda.

This is a very brave show that treads a fine line between genuine drama and didacticism.

Gerhard
30th July 2007, 17:02
Forgot about this: surely Darwyn is going to get into trouble with Farik when the latter dicovers that the smuggled anthrax is gone. And how will Darwyn get his cellphone out of that kid's bag, which the FBI used to track him across the border?

Farik is very, very dangerous. He's like a coiled spring -- you don't know in which direction he'll jump next.

Now Darwyn is supposed to be an orthodox Moslem -- he got hot under the collar when his boss started asking questions about the Koran -- and yet he's still shtupping that pretty infidel lady. The punishment for fornication is death, sayeth Allah. Double standards?

Artoo Detoo
30th July 2007, 20:53
Now Darwyn is supposed to be an orthodox Moslem -- he got hot under the collar when his boss started asking questions about the Koran -- and yet he's still shtupping that pretty infidel lady. The punishment for fornication is death, sayeth Allah. Double standards?

Darwyn is a Sufi Muslim. Maybe what he's doing is kosher with his particular Sufi sect? I'm no expert obviously...just wondering.

Gerhard
30th July 2007, 22:13
Darwyn is a Sufi Muslim. Maybe what he's doing is kosher with his particular Sufi sect? I'm no expert obviously...just wondering.

I have no idea what a Sufi Moslem is, but will Google it. Thanks for the info, Artoo Detoo. Great when you can actually learn something from telly ... :wave:

Shakes
31st July 2007, 09:00
I missed the episode. Will try to catch up next week...

Gerhard
9th August 2007, 23:36

Artoo Detoo, I think Darwyn is more of a Sunni Moslem, as he is quite laidback.

http://www.oddparts.com/missions/islam.htm

Sufis - Sufis are a sect of Islam found in Pakistan, Iran, and India. Sufism emphasizes trance-like states and the mystical side of Islam.

Sunni - This is the dominant form of Islam. Sunni Moslems are found across North Africa, and in Egypt, Yemen, Oman, Jordan, Palestine, UAE, Turkey, Central Asia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia. Sunnis are less intense than other sects and are seen as moderate, tolerant, peaceful people. Sunni Moslems countries are most likely to have secular governments.

Artoo Detoo
10th August 2007, 00:09
Artoo Detoo, I think Darwyn is more of a Sunni Moslem, as he is quite laidback.

He's part of a Sunni sleeper cell but Darwyn himself is Sufi. You'll hear so outright later (Episode 7) in the series http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/icon_thumbsup.gif