PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica 2/10 'Pegasus'

Gerhard
14th September 2006, 07:16
Oh.
My.
Word.

What an episode! One of the most nailbiting instalments of any series I have ever seen. All my quibbles about the show coasting have been unequivocally blown out of the water. But how could they have ended it like that? I actually jumped up and shouted at the bloody television! Now we have to wait an entire week to see who has the bigger balls, Adama or Cain. :grr:

Gerhard
14th September 2006, 09:36
Aha! Battlestarwiki reports that:

"The Season 2.5 DVD set will contain the original 5 Act version of the mid-season 2 cliffhanger episode, "Pegasus". Standard episodes contain 4 Acts, separated by commercial breaks, for a total 40-45 minute run time. Occasionally, the SciFi Channel has allowed series it produces to create 90 minute long (with commercials) episode specials, containing 6 Acts. "Pegasus" ran long, and after editing consisted of 5 Acts of material. The production team felt that there was no way they could reach a length of 6 Acts, thus justifying a 90 minute special, without resorting to just adding filler material not really relevant to the main plot. As a result, the original 5-Act cut of Pegasus was edited down to a standard 4 Act running time. As a result, an antire Act worth of scenes was deleted from the aired version of the episode, purely for time reasons and not due to any issues with their internal content."

Take2.co.za has a region 2 complete season two set, but it seems that this does not have any of the second-half extras (i.e. no extended Pegasus). So it appears one has to acquire both the 2.0 and 2.5 sets in order to get the full package, which is a crafty way of fleecing your adorable, but gullible, public. :rolleyes:

rory
15th September 2006, 13:27
What an episode! One of the most nailbiting instalments of any series I have ever seen. Stunning episode.

And at least we only have to wait a week for the next episode - the States had to wait 3 months...

Gerhard
15th September 2006, 13:56
- the States had to wait 3 months...

Yikes. Is that because it was the mid-season finale? I see next week's episode, Resurrection Ship, is a two-parter as well.

I must say that up to this point I thought that Six was entirely a figment of the good doctor's imagination ...

rory
15th September 2006, 14:15
Yikes. Is that because it was the mid-season finale? Looks like it was.

I must say that up to this point I thought that Six was entirely a figment of the good doctor's imagination ... I've always felt there's a bit more to it than that. The idea of an implant has been mentioned... but maybe it's not quite as simple (remember when you saw the Cylons watching the 'Final Cut' in the movie theatre - one of them is a Six... why would he imagine her that way if she was entirely a figment?). And I love the dreamy soundtrack that happens whenever Gaius talks to Number Six.

Actually, I noticed that for a change, there was a lot of guitar in ep10. Quite different.

rory
15th September 2006, 14:19
Actually, I noticed that for a change, there was a lot of guitar in ep10. Quite different.
And while I'm on the subject of the soundtrack, and busy quoting myself, haha, it seems the US and UK versions of the show have different theme tunes:

http://www.epguides.com/BattlestarGalactica/theme_UK.mp3

vs

http://www.epguides.com/BattlestarGalactica/theme_US.mp3

We're getting the UK theme tune, and I think it's better. :)

Gerhard
15th September 2006, 14:39
Yeah, the music is an integral part of the show's atmosphere, and is quite different to the general Muzak of most SF shows. Very evocative. The composer is Brendan McCreary. By the way, you were right about the original theme being incorporated into the music at the end of 'Final Cut'. The Six/Gaius theme is indeed incredibly beautiful. Maybe Gaius is a figment of her imagination ...

I also found the coolest T-shirt:

Gerhard
18th September 2006, 08:25
Has anyone noticed that the 'survivor countdown' figure shown during the opening title sequence jumped dramatically in 'Pegasus', obviously with the addition of the new ship to the fleet? I've never noticed it change before, but this is a really neat example of the show's attention to detail.

On the subject of 'Pegasus', I'm bothered by the fact that Cain would consider executing valuable crew members when these are not exactly dime-a-dozen. She proclaims to be so by-the-book, but this is not a rational decision given the circumstances.

Or may she's a Cylon? Ooh!